Take a trip down memory lane and learn about the history of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, dating back to the 1960s.
December 17, 2022 — The new Thunder lift opened, operating at 2x the speed of the old one with a ride time of just 3.5 minutes, helping guests maximize their time on snow.
Winter 2022/23 — JHMR experienced its snowiest winter ever with 595" of snow falling in Rendezvous Bowl!
Winter 2023/24 — After 31 years of ownership, the Kemmerer family sold JHMR to Eric Macy, Mike Corbat, their families and a small, select group of co-investors maintaining the resort's status as an independent, family-owned resort.
Reflecting on the Kemmerers’ Legacy
During over three decades of ownership, the Kemmerers reached many proud milestones and are grateful for all the help they have received along the way. Jay Kemmerer shared some of his family’s thanks: “My family and I would like to thank Paul McCollister for providing us with an incredible platform to work with, Jerry Blann for 23 years of partnering with us in growing the Resort with accomplishments such as the Resort Master Plan and the Teton Village Master Plan, Mary Kate Buckley for five years of wonderful strategic leadership including expertly guiding our Resort through the COVID-19 pandemic and all our amazing former and current JHMR employees.”
Under Jay’s leadership as chairman, the Kemmerers have invested over $300 million in capital improvements, and their efforts to improve the Resort and the experience at JHMR for employees, guests and the community will have an everlasting impact. Jay’s vision to make JHMR a world-class resort led to many important milestones, including:
● Replaced or built new every lift at JHMR, with Sublette being the final lift to be replaced in 2024
● Constructed a new $31 million Aerial Tram in 2008 during the financial crisis
● Built the Bridger Gondola and the Bridger Center in the winter of 1997/1998
● Helped with the creation of the Teton Village Master Plan, which was approved in 1998
● Supported Jerry Blann in the formation of the Teton Village Association, followed by the Teton Village Resort District several years later
● Encouraged the establishment of Jackson Hole Air to support direct flights to Jackson, now available from 13 destinations
● Purchased the Stilson property and subdivided it into Stilson Residences and the Stilson Transit Center
● Built Sweetwater Gondola in 2017 to service Solitude Station, which was built in 2018/2019 and is regarded as the premiere learning center in the West for the Mountain Sports School
● Championed Resort leadership in the development of the new Mountain Master Plan in 1996
● In 2019, switched to 100% green energy, making it the largest resort in North America to run on green power
● Consistently invested in employee housing throughout Teton County
● In 2021, began managing capacity at JHMR to elevate the guest and employee experience, with many ski areas subsequently following JHMR’s lead
Beyond driving the successful evolution of JHMR, the Kemmerer family has a long history of steadfast support in the local Jackson community and the state of Wyoming at large. They have made significant, ongoing contributions to entities such as St. John’s Health, Teton County Search and Rescue, the Community Foundation of Jackson Hole, Friends of Pathways, Grand Teton National Park Foundation, Teton Science School and the University of Wyoming — among many others.
Summer 2010 — The new Village Commons opened as a meeting place for visitors and employees alike, serving as a venue for the Raptor Center presentations, storytelling, Fourth of July activities and the popular Concert on the Commons series.
Winter 2010/11 — Two Gazex exploders were installed on the Headwall, alleviating avalanche danger in time for the winter season. Increased brush-cutting measures prepared the mountain for winter grooming.
December 23, 2010 — The Jackson Hole Airport received the Record of Decision, confirming two 10-year lease extensions with the National Park Service (NPS). The extensions will run until 2053 and include numerous mitigation measures negotiated with NPS.
2011 — Teton County was awarded a grant from the Wyoming Business Council to fund trail development in Jackson Hole. The scope of the project included contracting with Gravity Logic from Whistler, British Columbia, to design and oversee construction of five biking trails accessed from the Teewinot lift and expanding the hiking trail system from the top of the tram to the gondola.
January 1, 2011 — A 2% Lodging Tax fee began collection and is estimated to yield $3.5 million annually for promotional purposes.
May 6, 2011 — Jackson Hole Mountain Resort (JHMR) received the NSAA Golden Eagle, the highest recognition of environmental achievement in the ski industry, for the second time.
Summer 2011 — The new Jackson Hole Bike Park, serviced by the Teewinot high-speed quad, celebrated a partial opening with plans for a full opening in summer 2012. The Tin Can Cantina truck opened alongside the park on the gondola hardscape to serve delicious tacos and margaritas. A two-year snowmaking expansion project was also completed, with total coverage increasing from 160 to 210 acres and from 2,700 to 3,800 gallons per minute.
Fall 2011 — The Kids Ranch completed a $1 million remodel and extension that better equipped the facility to cater to the needs of families with young children.
October 2011 — The Ski Area Recreational Opportunity Enhancement Act (S. 382/H.R. 765) was passed, paving the way for more robust summer operations that included zip lines, mountain biking, Ropes courses and disc golf courses at the nation's 121 ski areas that operate on public lands, including JHMR.
Winter 2011/12 — The addition of the Marmot chair provided critical connectivity across the mountain, a boon for intermediate skiers in particular. A $25 million project at the Jackson Hole Airport completed a 37,000 square foot expansion, paving the way for future nonstop flights. Wool and Whiskey opened in the Village Commons, bringing a unique men's mercantile shopping experience to the village.
Spring 2012 — Construction began on the Casper replacement chair, a high-speed quad that reduces the journey uphill from approximately 10 minutes to 3.5 minutes. All terrain in the Jackson Hole Bike Park was completed, with six lift-serviced trails open for use.
May 8, 2012 — Jackson and Teton County elected officials formally adopted the Comprehensive Plan, concerning land development in the Jackson Hole area, after five years of laborious debate. According to the plan, at least 60% of all future development will be absorbed in areas that are already developed (development nodes), and at least 65% of housing for county workers will be accommodated locally.
July 4, 2012 — The new Jackson Hole General Store opened between the Aerial Tram and the Bridger Center, serving coffee, ice cream, milkshakes, root beer floats and a host of other goodies.
July 17, 2012 — JHMR announced the addition of three new nonstop flights in partnership with United Airlines and Delta Airlines. Guests can now fly nonstop into Jackson Hole from Newark or San Francisco on United and from Minneapolis on Delta.
August 2012 — In an unprecedented move, four of the premier independent mountain destinations in the West created an alliance to form the Mountain Collective™, offering a groundbreaking pass for the 2012-13 season: the Mountain Collective™ Pass. The resorts include Aspen/Snowmass, Alta, Jackson Hole, and Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows.
December 2012 — The new Casper lift opened as a high-speed quad chair with a makeover of intermediate runs in the vicinity.
September 2013 — JHMR earns No. 1 Overall Resort in North America by the annual SKI Magazine Reader's Poll. President Jerry Blann notes, "This award truly reflects the combined efforts of all our community partners: our shared vision, capital investments, our consistency and commitment to excellence in all aspects of our business."
June 2014 — Following a successful winter season that delivered a 10% increase in visitors through the JH Airport, record days with 563,000 skiers at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort and a 10% increase in local sales tax collections, Jackson Hole Air Improvement Resources (JH AIR) is pleased to announce the strategic expansion of winter air service to 13 nonstop cities during the 2014-15 winter season.
June 2014 — JHMR opens a new aerial adventure ropes course, the Ropes, in addition to other new summer activities and creates the Grand Adventure Pass to attract and entertain future guests.
2015 — JHMR announced the 50th Anniversary Celebration for the 2015-16 winter season, with exciting events for guests and locals to enjoy.
Winter 2015 — In honor of the 50th Anniversary, JHMR added the Teton lift. This lift services intermediate and expert skiing on the north side of JHMR between the already-existing Casper and Après Vous lifts.
Winter 2016 — JHMR announced the addition of a new gondola. The Sweetwater Gondola is located between the Bridger Gondola and Teewinot high-speed quad and has a mid-station approximately a third of the way up the mountain in the Solitude area. It then continues to terminate just uphill of the Casper Restaurant.
2000 — The Moose Creek and Union Pass chairlifts were installed. The Mountain Dew Climbing Wall was erected for summer visitors. The First Spa facility in Teton Village was opened in Snake River Lodge and Spa.
2002 — The Teton Mountain Lodge, a condo-hotel property, opened in Teton Village.
2003 — The Four Seasons Resort Jackson Hole opened. This property is the first Four Seasons Resort ski destination.
2004 — The Crags, a permanently closed inbounds area, opened to the public, providing an additional 200 acres of expert terrain to the resort. The Jackson Hole Airport completed a significant expansion to meet the needs of growing jet airline services into the airport. The expansion included a larger security hold room and check point, a second baggage claim area, new check-in areas, a more spacious restaurant and additional parking.
2005 — The Sweetwater lift was installed, directly linking beginner terrain to low intermediate terrain at mid-mountain. Cafè 6,311 opened in the Bridger Center at the base of the Bridger Gondola.
2006 — After 40 years of service, the famed Aerial Tram was shut down to the public in order to build a newer, bigger and faster version. JHMR achieved ISO 14001 recognition for environmental management, making it one of the smallest companies and only the second ski area in the country to meet this standard. A new $10 million on-mountain facility opened at the top of the gondola, complete with Headwall Deli and Rendezvous Restaurant.
2007 — The terminal design for the new tram was revealed, sporting a new version of a lower terminal clock tower that will remain as a landmark in Teton Village. JHMR committed to purchasing renewable energy credits to offset 100% of its energy usage. Couloir Restaurant, run by award-winning chef Wes Hamilton, opened at the top of the gondola as a fine-dining option for resort guests.
Winter 2007-2008 — The 2007/08 Season is Jackson Hole's most successful season ever with 480,000+ skier visits and over 600 inches of snowfall.
Summer 2008 — The towers for the new tram were erected and the cables were tracked, hauled into place and spliced.
November 2008 — Garaventa delivered the new tram cars.
December 20, 2008 — The new Aerial Tram opened after two years of construction. The new tram cabins ensure 360-degree views and a spacious experience for guests. This $32 million dollar investment by resort ownership carries 100 passengers 4,139 vertical feet in 9 minutes, boasting the longest continual vertical rise of any lift in the U.S.
Watch/Buy Cable to the Sky, a great documentary about the history of the Aerial Tram.
2008 — Hotel Terra, the first LEED-certified hotel in Teton Village, celebrated its grand opening.
Summer 2009 — The new Aerial Tram began summer service for sightseeing, hiking and paragliding, securing JHMR as a summer destination and gateway to the national parks. The Deck opened as a summertime restaurant, offering causal al fresco dining and drinks with unmatched views of the valley from the 9,050-feet-high perch. Construction of the Ranch Lot also began, offering convenient parking and shuttle service for guests.
1992 — Paul McCollister sold Jackson Hole Ski Corporation to the Kemmerers, a family with more than 100-year ties to Wyoming. John Resor was appointed President of Jackson Hole Ski Corporation. The Kemmerers upgraded the Thunder chair from a double to quad.
1994 — Tommy Moe, Olympic gold and silver medal winner in the 1994 Winter Olympic Games, became an Ambassador of JHMR.
1995 — John Resor resigned as President. Jerry Blann — formerly of Aspen, Bear Mountain and Lake Catamount ski resorts — replaced him as President of the resort.
1996 — The U.S. Forest Service approved the Mountain Master Plan, leading to dramatic mountain improvements. The plan downsized the 1981 Development Plan, which previously approved for a capacity of 11,500 skiers per day. The newly approved Mountain Master Plan called for 7,690 skiers per day, a much more comfortable capacity for the resort.
1997 — The Teewinot high-speed quad opened, dramatically improving the mountain experience for beginners and intermediates. The Après Vous chairlift was upgraded to a high-speed detachable quad, increasing uphill capacity to 2,000 skiers per hour.
Winter 1996-1997 — JHMR took the lead in submitting the Teton Village Master Plan, unlocking the development of Teton Village after four years of hard work by Teton Village commercial owners and JHMR.
Winter 1997-1998 — The Bridger Center and the Bridger Gondola opened. The Bridger Gondola is 8,730 feet long and rises 2,700 vertical feet in 7.5 minutes. The Bridger Center complex is a 37,000 square feet multi-purpose facility that set the standard for new village architecture.
1998 — Teton County approved the Teton Village Master Plan.
Winter 1999-2000 — The backcountry gate system was employed, effectively opening up thousands of acres of backcountry to all. The Aerial Tram capacity was reduced from 63 passengers to 55 passengers to allow for backcountry gear.
June 1989 — President George H.W. Bush delivered his first major speech on the importance of the environment and clean air in an open meadow in front of the Tetons in Grand Teton National Park.
July 1989 — The New York Philharmonic held the first summer residency in its 147-year history in Jackson Hole during the first two weeks of July. America's oldest orchestra performed four concerts as a benefit for Jackson Hole's 39-year-old Grand Teton Music Festival.
September 1989 — U.S. Secretary of State James Baker and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze held a historic meeting on the shores of Jackson Lake in Grand Teton National Park. Baker chose Jackson Hole to showcase the spectacular scenery and preserved heritage of America's West.
December 1989 — New tram car cabins were installed.
1970 — The first national Powder 8 Championship were held at Jackson Hole.
1971 — Bill Briggs was the first to ski down the Grand Teton in a big mountain skiing landmark event.
1973 — Blackfoot lift opened at Grand Targhee.
1977 — The U.S. Voyager II spacecraft launched to explore unknown reaches of the solar system containing an Ansel Adams photograph of the Tetons and Snake River as part of its cargo.
1978 — Melissa Malm moved to Jackson from New York and became the first woman on the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Ski Patrol.
Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Opens
Spring 1964 — Construction of JHMR commenced, including the original Aerial Tram.
1965 — Jackson Hole Ski Corporation opened Après Vous Mountain to the public.
1965 — Lienz, Austria, was dedicated as Jackson Hole's sister city.
1966 — The Jackson Hole Aerial Tram started taking people to the top of Rendezvous Mountain for skiing, holding 63 people and taking 9 minutes to reach the summit at 10,450 feet.
1966 — McCollister sought a world-class skier to head the ski school and signed Pepi Stiegler, 1964 slalom gold medal winner, as ski school director of JHMR. Pepi carved out his own run on the edge of Cheyenne Bowl called Pepi's Run.
1966 — Patrolman Dick Porter survived a 55-minute burial from an avalanche in the steep gully that would later be named Dick's Ditch.
1967 — Jackson Hole hosted the final international race of the season, dubbed the Wild West Classic. The series of races ended the inaugural World Cup season by crowning Jean-Claude Killy of France and Nancy Greene of Canada as the year's world champions. Sports Illustrated magazine quoted Jean-Claude, saying, "If there is a better ski mountain in United States, I haven't skied it."
1968 — Jackson Hole Ski Corporation hosted its first downhill race.
1969 — Grand Targhee, on the western side of the Teton Range in Alta, Wyo., opened to the public. And JHMR continued to host international events and national championships.
Jackson Hole Ski Corporation
1950 — John D. Rockefeller purchased and then donated a great deal of land to expand Grand Teton National Park.
1952 — McCollister purchased 21 acres above Antelope Flats and began spending his summers in the valley.
1952 — McCollister started skiing at a little ski resort in the foothills of the Sierras, which boasted a 500-feet vertical rise. He became hooked on skiing.
1953 — The Ski Club built the ski cabin, which is still standing northeast of Jackson Peak. The cabin was designed to support extended journeys into the backcountry.
1955 — The world's longest-running theatrical "Shoot-Out" began. It was held six nights a week from May–September on the Jackson town square.
1956 — After attending the Winter Olympics in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, and spending nearly a month skiing Europe's famous resorts, Paul McCollister decided to sell his ties in California and retire to Jackson Hole.
1957 — The McCollisters purchased a 390-acre cattle ranch at the base of Shadow Mountain, where Jackson Hole Golf & Tennis is now located. This is where he later retired at age 41.
1959 — Paul McCollister, the President of the Jackson Hole Ski Club, became Chairman of the Jackson Hole Corporation, a local group dedicated to researching ski area development.
1960 — Barry Corbet accompanied Paul McCollister on his first decent from the summit of Rendezvous Mountain. On their way up, Berry looked into what is now known as the infamous Corbet's Couloir and stated, "Someday, someone will ski that — it will be a run."
Watch/Buy the documentary "Someday Somebody Will Ski That".
While Barry was not the first person to ski the couloir, he is credited with its name. Ski Patrolman Lonnie Ball is credited with the first plunge into Corbet's Couloir after he was left dangling when a cornice broke off at the top. Barry did ski his namesake, from the top, a year or two later. Premier American racer Buddy Werner accompanied Paul in mapping new runs. The long and wide run on Après Vous Mountain is named after Buddy Werner, who McCollister considered for head of the new ski school until an avalanche claimed Buddy's life.
1961 — McCollister purchased land at the bottom of Rendezvous Mountain. He paid roughly $1,355 an acre.
1962 — McCollister hired Colorado ski area consultant Willy Schaeffler to assess the potential avalanche dangers of Rendezvous Mountain.
1963 — McCollister formed the Jackson Hole Ski Corporation after a detailed study confirmed Rendezvous Mountain a prime location for a ski area. His partners included Alex Morley, a successful general contractor from Cheyenne, and Gordon Graham, a former business associate from California.
Early Skiing in Jackson Hole
1930s — Banty Bowlsby and the Hicks brothers — Sam, Ed, and Joe — were known as the Hoback Boys. They were superb racers and fearless jumpers and put together a ski circus that included jumping through rings of fire and other amazing feats. They used homemade skis with no ankle supports and single poles eight feet long! Banty went on to replace the base of skis with melted-down phonograph records, the only material of the sort available to him.
1930s — Teton Ski Club built lifts and cleared runs in Moose Creek, north of Victor, Idaho. Later, rope tows were installed on Signal Mountain, Leek's Canyon, Two Ocean Mountain, Angle Mountain, a hill near Catholic Bay on Jackson Lake and Huckelburry Ridge on the Moose-Wilson Road.
1930 — John Wayne's first speaking part was in "The Big Trail," filmed in Jackson Hole. It was presumed to be the first time he rode a horse! More than 15 feature films have been made on location in Jackson Hole, including "Shane," "Spencer's Mountain," "Any Which Way You Can," and "Rocky IV."
1931 or 1932 — Fred Brown (16) and the chief park ranger, Allen Hanks, were the first to ski into Grand Teton National Park.
1935 — Paul Petzoldt, his brother Curly and Fred Brown enjoyed the first-known decent of Rendezvous Mountain, which would later become JHMR.
1936 — Betty Woolsy, Olympic ski team member, came to Jackson Hole to train.
1937 — Fritz Brown wrote a weekly column in the Jackson Hole Courier that addressed skiing technique and equipment.
1937 — Fred Brown, president of the Ski Club, helped form Jackson Hole Ski Association.
1937 — The first race was held on Snow King where skiers raced down a hiking trail that was cut by the Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps.
1937 — The Dartmouth Ski Team stopped at Fred Brown's ranch on their way to a race at Sun Valley. They demonstrated the latest ski techniques, the use of two poles and fixed-heel binding to more than 200 spectators on Telemark Bowl near Teton Pass.
1939 — Snow King opened as a ski area with a rope tow, called the Old Man Flat Rope Tow.
1939 — Jackson Hole Ski Club hosted the first Tri-State ski meet including skiers from Alta, Utah, and Sun Valley, Idaho.
1939 -- Jackson Hole Ski Club hosted the first Tri-State ski meet including skiers from Alta, Utah and Sun Valley, Idaho.
1942 — Paul McCollister, a 27-year-old radio advertising salesman, set out on a fortuitous elk-hunting trip to Jackson Hole.
1945 — The Jackson Hole Winter Sports Association was formed in response to the post-WWII ski popularity explosion due to the 10th Mountain Division.
1946 — Neil Rafferty installed the first chairlift in Wyoming on Snow King. The wheels of an Army pickup truck drove the ropes. Paul Petzoldt sought to create a rival ski area on his cherished Rendezvous Mountain, but was unable to purchase the Crystal Springs Ranch at the base of the mountain.
1947 — McCollister could not stay away from Jackson Hole and returned to fish the Snake River and in Yellowstone National Park.
1929 — Grand Teton National Park was established.
1925 — Mike O'Neil was among the first skiers in the valley to use two poles and make turns during a time when people were only using one pole and placing it between their legs to slow down.
1927 — Mount Owen was named after the surveyor and mountain climber who is credited as the first to ascend the Grand Teton.
1920 — An all-woman council was elected in Jackson, including a female mayor, giving Wyoming its nickname the "Equality State."
1806 — John Colter was released from the Lewis and Clark Expedition to trap furs on the Yellowstone and Upper Missouri rivers where he became the first-known person of European decent to enter Jackson Hole. On his return, he joined the Manuel Lisa fur trading party of St. Louis. They sent him into Jackson Hole to negotiate trades with the local Indians. There are two runs at JHMR named after John called North and South Colter Ridge.
1806 — John Hoback, also with Lewis and Clark, toured the area alone in the winter of 1806.
1811 — Wilson Price Hunt named the Hoback River after his guide, John Hoback, who led him down this tributary to the Snake River into Jackson Hole. There is also a popular section of Jackson Hole Mountain Resort named after John Hoback.
1820s — French-Canadian fur trappers entered the region around 1820 and named the soaring mountain peaks "Let Trois Tetons" (The Three Breasts). Today, these peaks are called Grand Teton (13,770 feet), Middle Teton and South Teton. For three decades between 1810 and 1840, this area was a crossroads for the six main trapper trails that converged in Jackson Hole.
1829 — Jackson Hole, originally called Jackson's Hole, was named after David E. Jackson, a beaver trapper, by his partner Bill Sublette. Jackson Hole was Jackson's favorite trapping ground.
1832 — Milton Sublette, Bill Sublette's brother, led a party of trappers out of the Pierre's Hole, located on the western side of the Tetons. On July 18, they were attacked by the Gros Ventre Indians, leading to many casualties on both sides and forcing Sublette's party to retreat. There is a quad chair at JHMR named after Bill and Milton Sublette.
1840 — The fur trade era ended with the last trade rendezvous held on the Green River. The beaver supply was exhausted by the two major fur companies, the American Fur Company and the Rocky Mountain Fur Company, and beaver-felt top hats were replaced by silk hats.
1860 — Jim Bridger, a well-known explorer, guided Captain William F. Raynolds, of the Army's Topographical Engineers, into Jackson Hole. Raynolds' expedition crossed the Wind River Range via Union Pass (named by Raynolds) and followed the Gros Ventre River into Jackson Hole. The national forest that JHMR is located on is named after Jim Bridger, as well as the Bridger Gondola and base lodge near the gondola.
1869 — Wyoming's government became the first in world history to allow women to vote (51 years before the U.S. Constitutional amendment).
1871-1878 — Ferdinand Vandiver Hayden led numerous U.S. Geological Survey expeditions into the Rocky Mountain West, known as the famous Hayden Expeditions.
1872 — Hayden and his geologist, Frank H. Bradley, were guided into Jackson Hole from Yellowstone by hunter and trapper Beaver Dick Leigh. Two members of this group claimed that they reached the summit of the Grand Teton but left no evidence there. The 1872 expedition recorded many names of Jackson Hole's land features. Two glacial lakes were named for Bradley and his assistant Rush Taggart, Leigh Lake for the guide and Jenny Lake for his Shoshoni wife. Coulter Creek was named after the expedition's botanist, Mount Leidy after the paleontologist and Mount Moran for the artist whose landscape paintings — along with William Henry Jackson's photographs — were influential in making Yellowstone the world's first national park. Bradley tried to name the Grand after Dr. Hayden, but he would not accept this honor and insisted that it be called the Grand Teton. There are also a few sections of JHMR named after the artist — a run named Moran, Moran Face and Moran Woods.
1872 -- Yellowstone was declared a National Park by president Ulysses Grant, 18 years before Wyoming became a state.
1879 — A forest fire turned Snow King into a prime skiing spot for locals.
1880s — International Federation of Skiing (FIS) started in Sweden.
1880s — Settlers started to arrive and settle in Jackson, Kelly, Wilson, Moran and other towns surrounding Jackson Hole.
1883 — William "Buffalo Bill" Cody organized Buffalo Bill's Wild West, a circus-like show that toured annually, celebrating the Western lifestyle. He later became famous for putting shows on all over the country as well as in Europe over the next 30 years. Cody was influential in helping settle Wyoming. Jackson Hole Mountain Resort's Cody Bowl and Cody Peak are named after William Cody. There is also a building named in his honor, the Cody House.
1890 — Wyoming became a state and was dubbed "the Cowboy State."
1897 — The town-site of Jackson was laid out in a location central to many of the ranches in the valley. Some of the buildings surrounding the town square as the first stores still exist today, and the streets to the south contain houses that have been here since the early days.
1898 — William O. Owen was credited with the first ascent of the Grand Teton.
1899 — The first standard topographical map of the Tetons was published.
John Simms of the Jackson Hole Mountain Resort Ski Patrol invented Life-Link's avalanche probe. He also invented other avalanche forecasting equipment that he sold to Life-Link. John and fellow patroller Charlie Sands, who started Sands Wild Water River Trips, were the first people to drop in to the couloir adjacent to Corbet's Couloir — giving it the name S&S Couloir.
Simms was not the only inventive patroller at JHMR. Bobbie Fuller invented a strap to keep his sunglasses on that led to his early retirement. The straps are knows as Croakies and are found all over the world.
Why is it called _____?
We already mentioned how the famous Corbet's Couloir, Pepi's Run and Dick's Ditch got their names, but what about the other runs? Most of the runs were named after the geographic features of the valley. The ridges are named for the early mountain men who explored the area and the bowls are named for cities and towns in Wyoming. Over time almost every mountain feature has picked up a nickname, mostly for navigational purposes and for ski patrol to locate lost or injured skiers.
Cook's Knob — Former mountain manager Ray Cook wanted to put a lift on the crest at the bottom of the headwall, even after patrols warned him many times about the severe avalanche danger in that area. A week after completion of the mighty might surface lift, an avalanche took out the lift. The remains on the knob are now labeled Cook's Knob.
Bean's Beanery — Halfway down Grand rests an eight-foot rock called Bean's Beanery. Former trail crew member Pat Bean accidentally skied off this unmarked rock and immediately reported it to ski patrol. In the process of skiing down to show the patrol where the rock was, Bean flew off the rock again.
Veto's Tree — Near the fourth tram tower stands a lone tree that stopped a Chicago skier from tumbling over the edge of the cliffs during an avalanche.
Femur Ridge — A teenage skier jumped this ridge on the Lower Sublette Ridge and broke his femur.
Crabtree Rock — The huge rock near tower nine on the Apres Vous chair lift. Jeff Crabtree, co-owner of Skinny-Skis, a local ski shop, tucked the section of Werner above the jump and hit it with too much speed. He broke both his legs just above the ankles on the flat landing.
Horn's Hole — At the bottom of the Cirque, there is a hot spring that melts the snow, causing a four-foot depression. Patroller Rick Horn skied into the hole and broke both skis yet still managed to ski the rest of the way down the mountain.
Indicator Rocks — The rocks on the far side of Rendezvous Bowl are used as a tool to predict avalanche danger. If the rocks are showing, there is little danger of an avalanche in the bowl.
Dope Cave and Mushroom Chute — No explanation is needed!
Credibility Gap — Now known as Gannett, the run was named during the Lyndon B. Johnson administration.
Goldmine Chute — This permanently closed area on the north side of Laramie Bowl was said to be the area of heavy gold prospecting by the uncle of former manager George Flemming.
Flip Point — This is the section of the Gros Ventre Traverse at the rim of Laramie Bowl where people used to practice flips in the old days. The area is now generally hard-packed but used to host a plethora of deep powder landings.
Radiation Woods — This area surrounded a National Forest Service study plot located above the Avalanche run. In order to keep skiers out of the study location, the Forest Service posted signs reading, "Danger! Radiation." The study has since ceased, but the name stuck.
Harry's Slide — Named after Harry Fisherman
Jeff's Slide — Named after Jeff Roberts
Kirby's Slide — Named after ski partoller Kirby Williams
Silky's Slide — Named after patrol former director Bob "Silky" Sealander